Saturday, June 11, 2011

How much RAM is enough RAM?

With the advances in speed and capabilities, as well as the transitionLink from 32-bit to 64-bit computing, this isnt as easy a question as it used to be.

First off, what is RAM? Random Access Memory is the workspace your computer uses to do everything it does.
RAM is often confused with the Hard Drive. The hard drive is storage, whereas RAM is where the files that have been pulled out of storage are worked with. Just like in an office where you pull a file out of the file cabinet and take it to your desk to work with it.

So, how much do I need? This depends on three things: the version of Windows you have; the age of your computers motherboard; and how much money you have.

If you have Windows XP, the most you can have is 4GB, regardless of the other factors.
If you have a really old computer with Windows XP, then the maximum is between 2GB and 4; a little investigation is required to find the exact amount you can have.

If you have Windows Vista, you have to look in "Computer Properties" to see if you have 32-bit or 64-bit; the first is restricted to 4GB, the second may or may not be.

If you have Windows 7, and you bought it at a store, then you have 64-bit and you are only restricted by your budget and the motherboards circuitry.

How much do you need? For Windows XP and 7, 1GB will do, but more is better.
For Windows Vista, 3GB; and more will make your life easier.

There you go.

6 comments:

  1. Peter this is the first time someone has explained what RAM or a hard drive is in a way that makes sense to me! I'm looking forward to your next post to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post Peter. 64 bit definitely needs more ram because ...it uses it!
    I have 8 GB on my windows 7 system and sometimes I check the memory usage and it is up at 5 GB! Of course I keep a few things open at the same time but I notice incredible inefficiencies at play like for example explorer will often be using close to 2GB via several open windows and even though firefox is supposed to be more efficient, sometimes it is even worse! Speaking of firefox and I know this is a different topic, it has been crashing a lot on my windows 7 64 bit, I hope they patch these problems soon.....and I would love it if it used less ram, sometimes I have to close it if I'm working on video production because amazingly my 8 GB are not enough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I notice that occasionally my Win 7 screen greys out and waits for a while.
    Is this a RAM issue (I have 6 gb DDR2) or something to do with the net?
    Or is there a buffer setting I can adjust? OR?

    ReplyDelete
  4. PPS I am running Win 7 64 Bit, with a Asus M4A785-M Motherboard with 4 slots and can take 16 gb max. Currently it has 2 slots with 2 gb and 2 with 1 gb for a total of 6 gb.
    What if any benefit would I get from 2 slots of 2 gb and 2 slots of 4 gb? A total of 12 gb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Paul, it sounds like a video issue. The first thing I would check is to see if User Access Control is turned on. If it is, turn it off and see if that fixes the problem.
    You can find UAC in the control panel under User Accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andre, I would look to see if you were virus and spyware free.
    If your current anti-virus says you are clean, I would suggest using Malwarebytes Anti-Malware (from download.com), booting into Safe Mode with networking and running a full scan.
    If that doesnt solve the problem, check how many programs are running in the background; they may be sucking up your RAM.

    ReplyDelete