Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Why does the computer work for the tech but not for me?

When I go to peoples houses to repair their computers, I always ask the customer to demonstrate the problem they're having.
Naturally, when I sit at the computer and turn it on, it works normally. Isnt that just they way things work for mechanics and repairmen? Of course it is; just like when you take your car to be fixed.

When this happens, I try to give the customer an explanation of why this may be happening.
"It's a peculiar form of electromagnetic radiation," I say. I call it the 'tech-field radius;' its the distance a broken object must be from a repairman who is intent on repairing it.

This description works for any repairman or mechanic.

One day I was at a customers house, an older gentleman, and he asked the question I had heard many times before, "Why...?"
As I was in the middle of my somewhat complicated technical-sounding explanation of EMF's and radiations and such, he interrupted me and said, with a very definite tone, "Nonsense! It's pixie dust!"

And that's now what I tell people. It just makes more sense.

2 comments:

  1. I knew it! Off to find the culprit, who thus far this week has left his dust on my car, the rowing machine and my laptop... Thanks for the laugh, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Pixie" is the family name of one of my wife's cousins, and I'n not sure but I think at one time she worked for Microsoft.

    Connection? Hmmm

    ReplyDelete